Quick answer: You should be having your boiler serviced once a year to make sure that it’s working safely and efficiently.
Why do I need to get my boiler serviced regularly?
As with most appliances, the better you take care of them, the better they work and the longer they last. Making sure you have your boiler serviced once a year helps to:
- Avoid faults from happening
- Dodge higher energy bills
- Stop your warranty ending earlier
The more efficiently your boiler is running, the lower your energy bills are likely to be. A qualified boiler engineer can also assess your boiler for any problems that could case a potential fault later on and fix it before it causes an issue.
Most warranties will only remain valid if you have your boiler serviced regularly. This means that if a fault arises and needs a repair, you won’t be able to call the manufacturer if you haven’t kept up with services. Always check the terms and conditions on your boiler warranty – It’s worth keeping up boiler services to keep your warranty validated.
Booking a qualified heating engineer to come and give your boiler the once over will make sure that it’s running at it’s best.
Do all types of boiler need regular services?
Whether your boiler is electric, gas or oil, it’s always a good idea to have them looked over regularly to avoid any potential problems. However, electric boilers don’t tend to need the same level of servicing as gas and oil do.
Who should I call to service my boiler in the South of England?
It’s really important to always have your boiler serviced by a fully-qualified engineer. That engineer also needs to have the necessary qualifications for your type of boiler. For example:
- Gas – If you are having a gas boiler serviced, then your service engineer must be Gas Safe registered. No one else is qualified to service a gas boiler.
- Oil – OFTEC registered engineers are the only people qualified to service an oil boiler.
Our engineers are fully qualified, as well as being Gas Safe and OFTEC registered. If you live in Hampshire, Surrey, Sussex, Dorset, South London, Berkshire and Wiltshire then we would be happy to come and service your boiler. You can check your postcode on our website to see if your address is in the area we cover.
When is the best time to get my boiler serviced?
Strictly speaking, there isn’t really a ‘wrong ‘time’ to get your boiler serviced – Our engineers can come out any time of year to service your boiler.
However, our advice would be to try and get it serviced during the summer months. Why?
- There is usually more availability during the Summer as engineers are generally busier in Winter when people need their boilers and heating to be working (and so notice faults more easily)
- If you have it serviced (and any faults fixed) in the Summer, then you are less likely to have a breakdown during Winter when you will be relying on hot water and heating more
Having your boiler service annually gives you peace of mind that it will be in the best working order ready for the Winter months.
What if I don’t get my boiler serviced?
There are some risks associated with no having your boiler serviced regularly:
- If your boiler isn’t working efficiently, then you could see a rise in your energy bills
- If a qualified engineer isn’t regularly checking that everything is in working order, then you could end up with a carbon monoxide leak
- Without regular servicing, a fault could remain unnoticed until it causes your boiler to breakdown completely
- If a boiler breakdown does happen, you may end up paying for a repair that could have been avoided by noticing a potential issue earlier
- You may void the warranty with the manufacturer
Are you a landlord?
If you are the owner of a rental property, then it is a legal requirement for you to have the boiler and flue system in your property checked annually with a gas safety inspection.
What happens during a boiler service?
A qualified heating engineer will usually spend at least 30 minutes servicing your boiler, and longer if any faults are found. The service will include:
- The engineer checking the flame and looking for any signs of corrosion or leaking
- The casing of the boiler will be removed and the engineer will check the components inside and clean any that need cleaning
- The flue terminals will be checked for blockages
- The engineer will check that the gas pressure is okay
- The boiler will be fired up and the engineer will check its performance in operation
Our Boiler Care Plans
We’ve operated in the South of England for over 15 years, and have developed our Care Plans to offer you the very best service should your boiler or heating system fail. Our Cover Plans:
- Include all parts and labour
- Have no excess to pay when you need us
- Use employed engineers, not sub-contractors
- Have 24/7 emergency call out
- Include annual servicing
Our plans start from just £7.50 per month and give you peace of mind all year round that your boiler and heating are always in safe hands. Head to our website for more information and get set up within 30 seconds.